A few tips for Starting a Personal Injury Protection (PIP) claim after a Motor Vehicle Accident (MVA)

A Motor Vehicle Accident (MVA) can be an overwhelming experience. The day you were planning is suddenly very different. The most important thing after an MVA is taking care of YOU. We want you to know that we are here for you. Feel free to call our office right away (unless of course, you require emergency medical attention). We prioritize our patients that have experienced an MVA. It's a good idea to get your spine and neck evaluated right away, even if you don't immediately feel pain. The powerful effects of adrenaline in your system after a shock like an MVA can sometimes mask the pain of injury. Every MVA is different and we will work with you throughout your process.

It's important to open your Personal Injury Protection (PIP) claim as soon as possible. PIP is coverage under your auto insurance policy that may pay your medical bills, wage loss and household services immediately after your accident. The following steps will help you open your claim and begin the process of getting the medically necessary care and services you need paid for while you heal.

  1. Call your insurance company to report the accident as soon as possible.
  2. Collect the following information:
    - Claim number
    - Name and phone number of the adjuster handling your claim
    - Address of the claims office to submit bills
  3. Speak with your claims adjuster and verify that you have completed all of their forms.
  4. Call our office (541) 687-7775 to set up your appointment.
  5. Complete our online intake form.
  6. Relax in the knowledge that we will help you heal from your accident.

Know that you have the right to seek the care of your choosing while healing from an MVA, including chiropractic care and massage. You do not need a medical referral to receive care in our office.  It's also important to do your own research. The tips and suggestions offered in this post are just that. If you have questions about legal matters, please be sure to contact an attorney.

DMV resource for accident reporting >

What do I do if I'm in an accident? >